My Pageviews

Friday, June 13, 2014

BLOG (3) CpL. Freddie Stowers!!!

Hi EveryOne!!!

Happy, Happy Birthday!!! Happy Re-Birth as well!!! I think it is about time to ask you did
you get something to snack on or a beverage to sip on? I have not bothered to ask you lately
because I do not want to frighten you and have you think I will have a long article, yet, I
manage to write anyway. Have you noticed I have been trying to make the articles a
little shorter.  I Meditate and I really do ask for Guidance and sometimes when I re-read the
articles I have to ask SPIRIT "Did I reach the person whom you wanted to read with me" I
am trying to learn how to interject a little of both in my BLOGS and sure enough I am seeing
the same things that I do not understand. Needless to say I am suppose to continue for right
now.
We were on the subject of Great Uncle Freddie and I told you I was writing what has already
been written by someone else in part, and I will continue to finish with that now. If you have
not read BLOG (2) it will feel as if I am writing incomplete sentences, but those of you who
read with me, you will note the continuation. Let us begin with;

Soon after the war, Cpl. Stowers was recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross. In
December 1918, his commanding officer upgraded the recommendation to the Medal of Honor.
Unfortunately, no action was taken. In the mid-1980's an investigation into the lack of
African-American Medal of Honor holders for WWI and WWII led researchers to find 
Cpl. Stowers  original recommendation. In 1991, when the award was finally make, a Pentagon 
spokesman called this an "administrative oversight". On April 24,1991, the Medal of Honor
was given by President George Bush Sr. to Cpl. Stowers family members including two
sisters.
This marker, erected through the efforts of the late, Mrs. Lenora Vance Robinson, Mr.Robert
Thompson  and the Foundation of Black History and Culture, is placed in Corporal Stowers,
memory this 24th day of September,2004.
Special Thanks: We'd like to extend thanks to the Adjutant General Stan Spears and the Joint
Services Detachment of the South Carolina Military Department for helping to make this day
possible.
Many thanks to the Bachman's Battery from Charleston for making the long trip. Their WWI
dress brigade, and cannon are a wonderful way to teach others about this era.
Mr. Jim Smith  requested that this marker be erected. We are indebted to him for his attention to
historical matters and appreciate his desire that local heroes be recognized Locally as well as
National. (In fact, It was Mr. Smith who knew my Mom was a Stowers and he first approached her
with this knowledge but, because of her age and her health). She recommended that our younger cousin who is also a family member be contacted in her place.  But she (my Mom) was grateful to have been a Part of this great History Making Event).
Thank you the South Carolina General Assembly, The South Carolina Black Caucus, and Representative John Scott for their assistance and support in making this event happen.
Our gratitude is extended to Mr. Wilson Eagleson for the role has played in our Country's History,
He is a true model for all.
Words cannot express to the family and friends of Corporal Stowers, those present and those away, how grateful we are that he called Anderson County Home for those few short years, and that we
as Americans appreciate the sacrifice he made and especially the spirit in which he made it.  
    
Tomorrow I will share the Program and photos of this great Memorial including the Airman who
attended from Tuskegee's. Also I will share how to get information on many other recipient's.

I hope this article will make some Person/Soldier/Veteran feel Proud while reading that the Color of one's skin only matter when we forget to REMEMBER that Your/My Greatness is not based on Color
but rather what we were taught and now WHAT we Teach.  (This SENIORs Wisdom)
BE BLESSED>BE A BLESSING to others, and don't forget to LAUGH with the LITTLE ones/SENIORs/PARENTs/VETERANS equally. I Appreciate You!!! Thanks for joining with me!.
With Much LOVE(TYG)
Tonnie Stowers Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment